In 1854 it was one of the first breweries in Illinois to make lager beer. Stenger beer was sold throughout the Chicago area, from Elgin on the north to Ottawa on the south. Adolph Coors worked here before opening his own brewery at Golden, Colorado in 1873. In 1893 the brewery had closed, shortly after John Stenger had sold it to a Chicago firm, Henn & Gabler.
The Stemger Brewery, located on the northeast corner of Franklin Avenue and Webster Street was the largest and most famous of the three Naperville breweriesthat flourished after the Civil War. The brewery was established by Jacob Engelfritz in 1848.
Peter Stenger Sr. was its first active proprietor. His son John Stenger took over in 1851 and went into business with his brother Nicholas. Stenger Brewery made both ale and lager beer.