This beautiful can (from a set of 18) was designed in 1977 by American artist Lowrey. The buildings were accurately reproduced using period photographs and drawings as a reference. The front of the can shows the factory in the autumn sunshine. Workers roll kegs into the brewery in anticipation of the coming winter. Vines of red and orange leaves fill the sky.
Peter Schoenhofen came from Germany in 1851 and worked in various breweries until 1861 when he and Matheus Gottfried started their own brewery at Jefferson and West 12th streets in Chicago. In 1862 they moved to Canalport Avenue and 18th Street. Gottfried later selling his interest. By 1867 the Peter Schoenhofen Brewing Co. became one of the largest in Chicago, producing 180,000 barrels a year by 1893.