This beautiful can (from a set of 18) was designed in 1977 by American artist Stephen R. Kidd, whose work has hung in both the White House and the Smithsonian. The buildings in this painting were accurately reproduced using period photographs and drawings as a reference. The front of this can shows an arial view of the brewery on a bright autumn morning. In a scene reminiscent of the work of painter Thomas Eakins, a single skull rower from U-Penn's University Barge Club trains on the Schuylkill River. He is no-doubt trying to keep up with the steam locomotive on the shore just beyond. In the background, the factory rises majestically on the hillside. The town of Fountain Green has long since been absorbed into Philadelphia proper.
Engel And Wolf
Charles Engel and Charles Wolf had the first large brewery in Philadelphia to make lager beer. It was conveniently situated beside the Comumbia Railroad on the Schylkill River about one mile above the Fairmount Waterworks. The brewery was built in 1849 at Fountain Green, now a part of Fairmount Park and included five large vaults cut out of solid rock for cooling and storage of their well known beer.